Sunday, August 22, 2010

Coconut Chocolate Chip Cookies

Last night there was a desire for something sweet after dinner .... so as usual I starting perusing my cupboards to see if I could make something to satisfy and surprise Chris with.

I ended up randomly putting some things together -- I didn't hold out much hope for my concoction but it seriously ended up working out. Typically with baking its pretty important to follow instructions and quantities. I had a bag of chocolate chips with a cookie recipe on the back but I only had 3 of the ingredients so I, the master of substitutions, did the following:

Instead of 2/3 cup melted butter I used 2/3 cup softened coconut oil (it wasn't oil and it was too warm in our house for it to be solid); instead of 2 eggs I used 2 tbsp ground flaxseed simmered in 6 tbsp water; instead of 2 2/3 cup white flour I used 2 cups spelt flour and 2/3 cup quinoa flour.

I creamed the coconut oil and flaxseed egg replacement with a little less than 2/3 cup dark brown sugar (I wanted to use agave nectar or honey but thought it would be too liquidy) and then added the flour, a little baking powder and baking soda and a pinch of salt and mixed well. I then added the chocolate chips and I threw in 1/2 cup of shredded coconut.

I was really surprised when they came out of the oven - they didn't spread all over the baking sheet, they rose a little and were delicious. You couldn't tell they were wheat-free, egg-free, and dairy-free, well other than the chocolate chips :)

I love using coconut oil lately - it's wonderful in baking and I'm using it more and more in stir-frying and roasting veggies. Yes it is a saturated fat but one that is mostly medium chain triglycerides, meaning that it it chock-full of health benefits: anti-microbial, immune-enhancing, and weight-loss.

No comments: