Saturday, October 10, 2009

Cranberry Sauce

I just made such a delicious cranberry sauce! My parents are coming over tomorrow for a brief little lunch. Usually Chris and I go to their place and don't do much except sit and eat; this year we've both been so busy we decided they would come here!

In preparation, Mom and I decided that they were going to bring the turkey (no tofurky this year!) and I would make the veggies. So I was planning on some roasted root veggies - parsnips, squash, carrots, and sweet potato and the pecan brussel sprouts that I put in the last ZH newsletter. Yesterday Mom and I decided these few things plus a few nibblies to start and some fruit for dessert, would be enough for an early lunch.

So today of course is a different story and I knew this was going to happen..... I just got off the phone with Mom and now she is also bringing perogies and a plum harvest cake! I also know that Dad loves cranberry sauce so I started looking around for a recipe on the food network and came across a recipe from Ina Garten, the barefoot contessa - a chef that I love - well maybe her house in the Hamptons even more than her food!!!!

I decided to tailor the recipe a little as usual.... and it turned out great!
1/2 bag cranberries
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup agave nectar
I brought these together in a small saucepan on low heat for 10 minutes and then added juice and zest of 1/2 a lemon and 1/2 an orange and some peeled and diced pear. I cooked this all together for 20 minutes, took it off the heat and add a handful of chopped walnuts and then put it in the fridge for tomorrow.

Just a little note that the original Ina recipe used a full bag of cranberries and 1 3/4 cup white sugar.....

Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments: