Friday, October 2, 2009

Amaranth Porridge

Time for hot cereal again!
I just got back from a run through High Park. Yes it was cold this morning; it was the first morning I had to find my toque and running gloves! But wow was autumn ever in the air. The leaves have started to change colour and you can smell the crisp leaves.
So when the weather changes like this my morning smoothie doesn't cut it. I want something warm and nutritious to soothe. This morning there was a bit of an incident with my amaranth. If you have never cooked with amaranth, I urge you to go to your local bulk store and buy 1 cup to try it out. Amaranth is a gluten-free grain that is high in protein, calcium, and iron, which is quite rare for a grain!
Anyway so I was measuring out my amaranth and it spilled everywhere on my counter and floor. It isn't easy to clean up as it is such a tiny tiny grain, smaller than couscous or millet.
So today I made some amaranth porridge with pears, walnuts, ginger, and cinnamon. 3/4 cup amaranth and a pinch of sea salt with 1 cup of water in a saucepan. Bring it up to a boil and then let it simmer for 20 minutes. Add in any fruit and nuts or seeds that you have around the house and stir thoroughly and hea through for another 10 minutes. Let it sit for 5 minutes and enjoy! This will make enough for 2 servings.
Enjoy the cooler weather and some warm cereal!

No comments: