Sunday, December 20, 2009

Wooden Spoons as Cooking Utensils

How long have you had your wooden spoons in your kitchen? I looked at mine today and I think I remember mom giving me a couple of hers when I moved into a house with friends in 3rd year university! Waaaaaaaaaaaay too long. So then I remembered a random comment from a chef on tv saying how wooden spoons are the handiest utensil to have (and cheapest!) in the kitchen but they harbour a lot of bacteria.

So today I decided to do a little bit of research on these utensils that seem to last forever; or do they?

Did you know?
1. They are more porous then metal and plastic and that's why they are a sponge for bacteria.
2. They shouldn't be put in the dishwasher! They may crack and could potentially be a fire hazard.
3. They shouldn't be used if there is any part of them that is dark or soft or mushy. It's rotten wood.
4. Best way to disinfect is with 1 part bleach to 20 parts water, soak, and then wash with a mild detergent. One website listed that a day behind a fridge or stove would warrant a bleaching.

I'm throwing ALL of our wooden spoons out today AND I hope Santa brings me some new wooden spoons in my stocking.

No comments: