Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Vicks Vapor Rub

I grew up with Vicks Vapor rub. Everytime I was sick my mom rubbed Vicks on my chest and bundled me up on the couch, made some chicken soup and some chamomile tea with honey and lemon. Was it the chicken soup, was it the actual rub ingredients, was it the love of mom making me feel better? Who knows... a combination of everything I'm sure!

A story in today's paper cast a shadow over the popular chest rub that has been used for years safely with kids and adults. I think the story is misleading as labels clearly state not for use in kids under 2 and not to be used in noses and eyes.

The essential oils used in the formula can be fantastic for clearing coughs and opening airways. If I'm sick or a patient or family member is sick, one of the easiest things to do is to put a few drops of eucalyptus oil in a bowl of hot water and do a steam inhalation.

For a peek at the story look at the following link:

http://www.parentcentral.ca/parent/article/569874

No comments: