Thursday, January 29, 2009

Detox Update

Well it's been a while since my last post because of my detox. Today is officially day 13 and feelin' great. This detox more than ever required a lot of pre-planning and organizing as both weekends were busy with events and evenings were tight to do too much cooking. I've written out alot of tips and time-saving techniques in my little notebook so I can share once my detox cookbook is out.

As I've said to many patients over the years, a bean soup always saves me and home-made hummus to come home to after work keeps me from sabatoging the detox. This time I spent 2 hours on Saturdays and 2 hours on Sundays making enough food for my lunches and at least 4 dinners. Chris would always take the left-overs for lunch the next day so we just made sure we made enough for dinner.

Try to save a cleanse-friendly pasta dish for that one or two nights during the cleanse that you know it's going to be too rushed to make dinner and you know you've already run out of food in the fridge! My parsley pesto recipe is wonderful to thrown on brown rice pasta for a quick and delicious meal.

Parsley Pesto

2 garlic cloves, peeled
1/3 cup walnuts, toasted
½ tsp salt
2 cups loosely packed parsley
¼ cup extra virgin olive oil

Finely grind the garlic, walnuts, and salt in a food processor. Add the parsley and process until minced. With the machine running, slowly add the olive oil in steady stream through the feed tube until the pesto is blended into a paste.

Transfer to a bowl, cover tightly, and refrigerate until ready to use.


And for those keeping tabs on Chris.... he did great! There were a couple of 'dark days' around day 5 or 6 that he said he would vomit if he had anymore vegetables.... but other than that he was a trooper. Like I say to any of my patients it's always easier when your spouse or a friend is doing one with you for additional support!

No comments: