Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Sunscreens!!

Every year I get the same questions right about now about sunscreens. More and more people are hearing about the chemicals in most sunscreens and are more reluctant to be applying them on themselves, AND even more so their kids.

My husband burns very quickly. He's like a beacon of red light after a short walk outside but has always been very good with applying sunscreen and wearing a hat. I don't burn too quickly but have noticed over the years that the sun is way more intense than it ever has been. I remember the good ole' days on the farm, hoeing the rows of tobacco in a bathing suit, no hat, no sunscreen, or sitting on the riding lawn mower, again with no sunscreen .... my how things have changed. I wish I knew back then what I know now about how dangerous the sun is (other than the vitamin D it supplies!) AND more importantly how it ages you!

Now with wrinkles slowly starting to appear my sun protection has increased dramatically. When I'm out for a run or if I'm golfing a hat and sunglasses are my best friends. Now is the time to take a look at your sun protection habits ... here are some quick tips courtesy of www.ewg.com :

Avoid these ingredients: Oxybenzone, Vitamin A, Added insect repellent
Look for these ingredients: Zinc, Titanium dioxide, Avobenzone or Mexoryl SX

Avoid these products: Sprays, Powders, SPF above 50+
Look for these products: Cream, Broad spectrum protection, Water resistant for beach, pool & exercise, SPF 30+ for beach & pool

Look for more information on these tips in the Zawada Health June newsletter which will be posted on the website (www.zawadahealth.com) later this afternoon!

No comments: