Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Ginkgo Biloba

Last year when we went to Portugal we went to this town called Sintra that had a beautiful castle (at the top of VERY STEEP MOUNTAIN) and adjoining herb garden. I distinctly remember wandering through the garden and seeing a Ginkgo tree. I got so excited because I remembered learning about all the health benefits, interactions and side effects AND from time to time I currently prescribe Ginkgo to my patients. I took many pictures of this random tree and of course pictures of Chris rubbing his temples next to the tree, trying to increase his memory and cognitive function (well actually him making fun of me because of how excited I got about seeing this tree!)

Anyway I just read a very interesting fact about Ginkgo Biloba. It is an extremely hardy tree that is resistant to pollution and as a result is commonly found in major cities such as New York and Tokyo. So incredibly strong is Ginkgo, that one Ginkgo tree was the only tree to survive at the atomic blast at Hiroshima, Japan.

The original therapeutic focus of Ginkgo was on improving circulation to the legs and brain. Later, the neuroprotective effects of Ginkgo were recognized and it became useful for improving cognitive (brain) function in both healthy adults and the elderly. New research indicates that Ginkgo could be of benefit in a wide range of issues such as cardiovascular health, longevity, mood and stress, antioxidant support, eye health, and memory support.

It does thin the blood so one must be careful if taking aspirin or warfarin.

Great herb.Great herb.

No comments: