Friday, January 8, 2010

Nutrition Action Health Letter

I'm impressed. Several patients have told me in the last year about this little newsletter and how I should get a subscription for the clinic. I remember checking it out and putting it on my never-ending to-do list for the clinic but never got around to subscribing. A nice little surprise after the holidays was waiting for me - one of my patients purchased the subscription for me as a gift! Thanks SS!

So in the Dec 2009 issue there was a comparison on movie popcorn - Cineplex, Empire, and AMC. Quick fact: cineplex pops in non-hydrogenated canola oil and a regular size has 780 calories and a large size has 1120 calories (half of what most people should consume in a day!).

There was also a page devoted to a summary of a few studies. One recent study concluded people with higher blood levels of vitamin B6 had a lower risk of colorectal cancer. Healthy foods that are rich in B6 include beans, bananas, avocados, and sunflower seeds.

The special feature was entitled "Seven facts you may not know about Exercise". Each fact was backed by at least one research study that was referenced.

Definitely a winning publication - good work CSPI (Centre for Science in the Public Interest)! www.cspinet.org/canada

No comments: