Sunday, May 10, 2009

Halibut with Artichokes and Capers

Last night our friends Steph and Doug came over for dinner. I know you shouldn't try new recipes when entertaining but I figured I've cooked enough fish in my life that it shouldn't be a disaster.

And it wasn't a disaster .... it was delicious! I found this recipe in the this month's issue of Food and Drink.

2 tsp olive oil in a large saute pan on medium-high heat. Halibut flesh side down in the pan for 6 minutes. Took the fillets off the pan and put on baking dish in a preheated 350 degree oven for 12 minutes. Meanwhile I sauteed (in the same pan as the fillets) 2 cups quartered cooked artichoke hearts and 2 tbsp capers for 3 minutes then added 8 thin slices of lemon, 2 tsp freshly chopped oregano and some more olive oil. I cooked this for another 5 minutes and then put on top of the fillets when they were done cooking. It was a wonderful combination of flavours.

Chris made some red quinoa and then I added some previously sauteed shallots and kale to finish it off; we also had asparagus and my arugula salad with beets!

Dessert was quite as virtuous I'm afraid.... Molten chocolate lava cake .... mmmmmmm...

No comments: