Sunday, February 1, 2009

Cold Sore

I am so mad at myself.

Yes I am prone to cold sores. I usually can tell know when I'm going to get one - when I've been super busy at work and not so good at the 'work-life' balance thing or if I'm out in the sun for a while at the beginning of the season.

So I wasn't really expecting one as I was on the detox for the last 2 weeks and was sleeping pretty well and doing my yoga.....

Friday night I decided to make rice paper salad rolls for dinner. I can totally make them detox friendly but decided I felt like some protein so added in some shrimp (shellfish are not allowed on the cleanse!) and some peanuts. Oh and I made the dipping sauce with peanut butter instead of the usual almond butter that I do.

Saturday morning I felt fine EXCEPT for the fact that I got a cold sore! I didn't understand until I started thinkinig about the peanuts - they are sooo high in arginine, the opposite amino acid to lysine. Lysine is wonderful for slowing down the replication of the cold sore virus and that is why it is used in combination with other things for the treatment of cold sores!

That must have been it! So anytime I get one I try different products to test their efficacy. This time I'm trying a new Chinese herbal formula called yin-care and R30 ointment by Dr. Reckeweg. So far so good - I think I like this combination.

No comments: