Monday, February 11, 2008

Key Lime Pie (made from avocado!)

Thanks to Leona from Mom's Time Out for giving me this amazing recipe! Apparently it comes from "Raw Foods Made Easy"..... It really was easy, taking less than 30 minutes to prepare!

First I made the almond crust by taking 2 1/4 cups of ground almonds, 3/4 cup pitted, unsoaked medjool dates, and 1/4 tsp sea salt and processing in a food processor until it began to stick together. I then scooped it into a pie pan and distributed the crumbs evenly along the bottom and up the sides of the pan and then placed in the freezer for 15 minutes while I prepared the key lime mousse.

Put 3/4 cup mashed avocado (1 1/2 avocados), 1/4 cup agave nectar, and 2 Tbsp fresh lime juice in a food processor and process until smooth. I then removed the crust from the freezer and spread the mousse over the bottom. I had fresh blueberries on hand, so I just sprinkled them on top and chilled for 2 hours.

So Friday night was "raw food night" in our house. I made a raw food pizza (crust was made of quinoa and adzuki beans) with cauliflower, beets, and sweet potato as the topping. Turned out pretty tasty except not crisp enough (didn't let the ingredients cool enough before processing I think!).

So after dinner I told Chris that I made a delicious new pie for dessert - mmmmmmm - Key Lime Pie - he was happy (as he usually is when there is dessert mentioned!) until I made a fatal mistake - I let it slip that avocado was in the pie! Ruined! He didn't even want to try it.

I, however dove right in - it truly was delicious and I don't think anyone would have noticed that it was made from avocadoes! Next time I probably would try making individual little tartlets just to make it look even more beautiful and to keep me from eating as much as I did!

2 comments:

Noreen said...

I wanted to add--that Carol's key lime pie was very tasty and very beautiful to look at--and it actually tasted really, really great!! Thanks Carol for introducing this recipe to me--I can't wait to try it!!!!
Noreen

TheIronYou said...

Great recipe! The benefits of avocado are often overshadowed by its high calories content but I believe it's a mistake: http://www.theironyou.com/2011/07/one-avocado-day-keeps-doctor-away.html

Keep up the great work!

Peace Mike@TheIronYou