Sunday, October 24, 2010

CHFA Show

Another busy weekend! Yesterday I drove up to the Five Tibetans Boutique in Kitchener to do a detox seminar and chat about Delicious Detox. Had a great time with a wonderful group of women and then looking at all the nice yoga clothing, handmade jewellery and other books at the boutique.

Today after a rainy walk in High Park this morning I went to the Canadian Health Food Association expo east at the Metro Convention Centre here in Toronto. It was a great opportunity to chat with different health food distributors, see what was new and exciting in the world of gluten or dairy food food and check out the new trends in the health food industry.

My top (new and exciting) 5 booths this year were:

1. Ecoqol Inc. - I already sell the OJA body compress at Zawada Health but they have come out with a few more compresses that I think are wonderful including large and small joint (for concerns like carpal tunnel, or arthritis) and the baby compress, wonderful for colic and constipation. I ordered some for the clinic so look for them this week! And they had a cool mannequin at their booth covered with the different castor oil compresses!

2. Oregon Ice Cream Co. - WOW. I had the most delicious Julie's Organic Ice Cream bar made of coconut milk covered in chocolate and almonds. Can't wait for this to come to Canada. So creamy.

3. Ever Bamboo - Bamboo charcoal deodorizers totally caught my attention. It was a small little booth with not too many people or gimmicks but what I saw I thought was great. The fridge and freezer deodorizer (instead of baking soda!) was great - made of moso bamboo in sachets. They even had a sport deodorizer for gym bags or sneakers. After their strength dies out you can recycle them and put them in your garden or compost.

4. Tea Aura - I tried a shortbread cookie in the shape of a leaf made with no artificial colours or flavours and made with rooibos chai and another one made with matcha green tea. Not the healthiest thing there but at least it was real ingredients and when I bit into the rooibos chai cookie and really chewed the chai was lovely.

5. Beanitos Black Bean Chips - gluten, soy and corn free... made with whole black beans and some rice, oil, and sea salt. Simple chip/cracker that was tasty. I would totally serve these to entertain... Although I guess most people expect something a little different when they come over here for dinner! 10 chips are 140 calories and actually have 4 grams of protein.

When I got home we did some prep for our upcoming detox.... Yup it's that time. Chris has run out of excuses and I'm ready to go. Just finished making the parsley pesto and hummus from Delicious Detox and I boiled some beets so they are ready in the fridge. Thankfully I still have some soup in the freezer so I don't have to prep too much tonight. Amazing Race is on tonight as is the finale of SYTYCD..... I'm off!

No comments: