Sunday, August 30, 2009

Fresh Greens from the Garden

On Friday, after Anna and I spent the day bottling and labelling our new product - Nourishing Serum (debuts tomorrow at Zawada Health!), we went through her garden and she gave me a bagful of dark green leafies to take home - kale, swiss chard, and beet greens!

So Friday night for dinner I picked up some salmon steaks, and a fresh head of cauliflower (since it's on my healthy and active list!) on my way home. I ended up sauteeing the swiss chard with some olive oil, red chili flakes, fresh lemon juice, and a tonne of garlic. The swiss chard was so tender and flavourful, so much less bitter and tough then from the grocery store. It was enough to inspire me to buy another planter for next year and dedicate it to growing dark green leafies!!!!

The cauliflower was nice for a change as well since I usually roast it. I did the cauliflower similarly to the swiss chard but added 1/4 cup water to the saute pan at the beginning to let it steam to cook the cauliflower and then added lemon zest and parsley at the end of cooking.

No comments: