Friday, December 5, 2008

Kale, it's nutritious.

Usually when I grocery shopping I keep my head low, grab my veggies and leave.

Friday mornings I usually teach at CCNM, up in North York. Today after teaching I decided to stop at the Longo's in North York, instead of coming back to my neighbourhood and doing my usual Friday night dinner grocery pick-up.

I picked up some brussel sprouts for tonight and a bunch of kale. As I was leaving the produce section a woman tapped me on the shoulder and asked how I prepare kale. She told me she buys it to feed her lizard but ends up throwing out two-thirds because she doesn't know what to do with it.

I was shocked and clearly it hit a nerve as I did something I don't usually do. I launched into how to prepare it, how I usually put it in pasta sauce or puree it into soups..... then I started in on the nutritional aspects to this complete stranger! It has tons of calcium, it's liver-friendly.... blah blah blah.

Not sure what got into me ... if you ever see me at a grocery store, run the other way!

No comments: