Sunday, August 24, 2008

Olympics are done....

I love the Olympics. Every 2 years, whether it's the summer or the winter Olympics, I am fully engrossed in every athlete's story and glued to the television.

In second year university at McMaster I had to take History and Sociology of Sport as one of the mandatory credits for my kinesiology degree. It ended up being a fantastic course, my favourite section being the Olympic movement. We learned and discussed the political and social controversies of each Olympics, the boycots, the stories of many athletes, and the future of the games.

Even before McMaster, I loved watching the competition, the heart and soul each athlete pours into their sport, the sacrifices made, the dedication of their high performance training and most of all how every country comes together on the world stage, putting their differences aside in the spirit of sport.

I had my doubts about Beijing. I thought there would have been more controversial stories, and more protests. But again in the spirit of sport everyone came together to welcome China to the world Olympic stage. It was a phenomenal spectacle of architecture (Birds nest and the water cube!!!), symbolism, culture, and volunteerism.

One of the things on my life list is to go to an Olympics - maybe London 2012?!

No comments: