Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Quick and Random Dinner

Ok so there is very little in our fridge right now because we're leaving on Friday for a 10 day road trip out East. I had Monday (trout and salad) and Tuesday (parlsey pesto on brown rice pasta with chicken, asparagus and fennel) dinners planned out but clearly I wasn't thinking straight when picking out veggies for the rest of the week!

So we sliced up 2 red peppers, chopped up a bunch of kale, and sliced a cup of green beans... definitely not one of typical combinations for a stir-fry. I put some olive oil in the saute pan and some red chili flakes, threw all the veggies in the pan, and a random combination of herbs - a teaspoon of basil, a teaspoon of fennel seeds, and a tablespoon of Bragg's liquid aminos (similar to soy sauce). I would have never thought to combine basil and fennel seeds but it was delicious!

This dinner reminded me of a conversation with a patient earlier this week. She had said one of her obstacles with eating healthy or preparing new dishes is not knowing how to combine spices or herbs. I told her it's all about experimenting; reading as many recipes and trying them; watching food network; asking friends; googling; tasting spices; whatever! I remember ruining plenty of dishes in my early 20s when I was experimenting and from time to time even now, Chris gets a lame duck meal.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yes, its very risky to experiment on food. You can be successful and earn the long-standing admiration of friends, guests and loved ones. Or, you may create disastrous effects.
But well, here is my word of advice: practice makes perfect. Always.
Here is something which is both experimental,technologically advanced yet all-natural:
http://www.plantstemcells.net/.